Sunday, January 3, 2010

More pictures....

Dealing with Sadie being in the NICU has been extremely difficult & I don't have much time, but I wanted to add some more pictures of our little princess....













Monday, December 21, 2009

Introducing...


Sadie Iris Martinez

12/17/09 @ 11:45am
5lbs 12oz
18" long

She is in the NICU, but is doing extremely well. Much better than originally diagnosed/anticpated.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The wait is *almost* over...

We will be meeting our baby girl TOMORROW!!

I know I haven't updated in awhile (I'm busy enough as it is without all the appointments & whatnot!), but the time has come -- Sadie's birthday.

I'm scheduled to be induced bright & early tomorrow morning.

Hoping & praying that all goes as well as can be - we are very eager to meet her!!

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Fine.....

According to the specialists (I actually saw both of them yesterday at the same time), baby Sadie is "fine" & they'll see us next week. Ummm .. okay?!

I'm relieved she's "fine" (they say the fluid is the same as it was last week - no change), but at the same time, quite confused. I flat out mentioned to them that they scared the crap out of me last week & the response was "well, don't get yourself all freaked out". What?! Send me for steriod shots, having me talking to the head of the NICU, talk about immediate emergency c-section, etc., & I'm not suppossed to worry? Yea right!! I busted my behind this week to get everything I possibly could in order "just in case" (we DO have 3 children at home to worry about, too) .. yet now they act like all of this is just no big deal.

*Sigh*

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Update....

Here's the lastest update .. this is what I posted to Facebook yesterday...

Went to the Specialist today (10/30/09) for weekly testing (BPP/NST) & to check up on the fluid (Pericardial Effusion) around Sadie's heart. I'll be 31 weeks tomorrow.

Good news is - she's no longer breech, she turned & is now head down, thankfully (I would prefer to avoid having a C-Section if at all possible).

Bad news is - The fluid has increased in size (over 6mm) & now the Dr.'s are getting VERY concerned. The Dr. has made it very clear that if the fluid moves anywhere else to Sadie's body, or increases much more, they will deliver me immediately. When will that be? We don't know .. but my next appt. is Friday morning (7:30am - yikes!!), so it could be as soon as THEN. My husband doesn't worry about stuff like I do (he's just like that - says he doesn't worry about things he can't control), but even he commented on the sense of urgency in the Dr.'s voice.

He sent me over to the hospital today to get a steriod shot (mainly to help her lungs develop), I have to go back to get the 2nd one tomorrow. I called my friend (who just so happens to be nurse) as we were waiting at the hospital & she made a comment that the steriod shots only last for 7 days. I asked about that when we got called back in & sure enough, she was correct. So in a week I'll either be getting more shots, having a baby, or ??? Who knows.....

In addition to sending me to the hospital to get the steroid shots, the specialist called right then & there & set us up yet another appt. This one is to meet with the head of the NICU, which we'll be doing Monday morning (then he mentioned next on the list will be a Pediactric Cardiologist). So, things are looking more & more that we'll be meeting our little girl sooner, rather than later.

This was definitely not how I was expecting today to turn out! I hate the "not knowing" (I'm big on planning & worry how we're going to do this, especially with having 3 other kiddos to take care of while our baby is in the NICU), but it will all work out one way or another. <3

... and to keep up her status of already being a lil' wild one, Sadie decided to flip herself around (ouch, that was painful!!) during my NST & my husband had to get the nurse to come back in & rearrange the monitors!! She had flipped completely & knocked the monitors to where they were not picking up her heartbeat! lol

Update from 10/21/09

I guess I neglected to post this here. Not suprised though, lately I don't know if I'm coming or going...

Here's the update from 10/21/09:

For the most part, everything went pretty good at today's appt.

The fluid on Sadie's heart has increased (to 5mm). That news is discouraging, but they said there is still a very good chance that she will still be born perfectly healthy, especially since she does not have fluid anywhere else. Where the fluid is concerned, both specialists have pretty much changed their attitude towards it (leaning towards it being "ok" when before this it was a pretty grim indicator of what's to come), which has everything to do with a recent medical journal article on it.

Still undecided fully on whether or not she has a VSD (hole in heart). They are leaning towards it being there, but if it is, it's extremely tiny (1.5mm). So with that being the case, it could close before birth or shortly after, with no further issues.

Sadie weighs 2lbs 11oz & is one very actice little girl. Apparently she's already bored though, at first she was covering her face with both hands, then she moved on & decided she'd rather suck on her toe! lol

She is currently breech, but they said not to worry about that just yet, there's still time. Not too thrilled about that though. AJ was breech & I had to do all those lovely exercises to get him to turn. Here's hoping Sadie turns on her own, soon!!

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but the Dr.'s seem to be more positive/encouraging when my husband goes along with me. Something that pisses me off, but also something to keep in mind. With so many appointments it's been getting very difficult to coordinate them with his work schedule, babysitter for AJ (children are not even allowed in the waiting room at the specialist's office), etc.

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Another update...

I thought the worries about her heart were over, but I guess I was wrong.

Here's the update from yesterday (copied from what I posted on FB - sorry, I'm lazy).

Really wish there were more definite answers. Saw the other specialist today & he said he's pretty sure it is fluid on Sadie's heart. He's still not absolutely sure, but said either way there's nothing they can do. I go back next week to check on it. He also seems to think she has a small hole in her heart, but again, not sure and again nothing they could do about it anyways. And if that wasn't enough, now at my appts. the hot topic seems to be the "increased risk of stillbirth" due to the DS (which is even higher with these possible heart issues). Problem with that is, there's just no way of knowing what exactly causes that & how to prevent it. Sure they could deliver me early, but that doesn't come without risk either. Great, like I needed even more things to worry about.

I'll write more later ... if I can manage to find sometime.